Friday, November 19, 2010

Day 5 - My Favourite Quote

Once again the challenge is not in the ability to write but in the ability to choose. Maybe it's more that I don't like picking favourites but honestly our house is filled with us quoting movies, songs and books all the time...it's who we are and what we do. I've mulled it over and rather than pick something that is whimsical I've chosen to go with:

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mohandas Gandhi

What a powerful statement, but of course it comes from a particularly amazing man. Gandhi truly lived his life meaningfully. He was put on this earth for a reason and accepted his destiny and fulfilled it without rebuke. He is inspirational on so many levels, his conviction, compassion and integrity are nearly unmatched. He felt that he was given a job to do and did not falter, despite how daunting the task. I only wish more people could understand and accept his teachings - perhaps his vision will one day be realized and there will exist in our world more equality and less discrimination.

I love this quote for so many reasons. It really does start with yourself, you want to improve the environment? Well then, be that change - pick up litter, reduce, reuse, recycle. You do it and others will follow your example. You want to see more tolerance? Well then, be that change - treat people with respect and compassion, smile at strangers and perform random acts of kindness. You do it and others will follow your example. My latest test of the concept has been in housework. I would love to see my fellow housemates pick up after themselves more often. Rather than complain about it and sit on my butt grumbling about how messy the house is, I get up and start cleaning things. Guess what, every night at least one person joins me in the cause! Be the change, lead by example!

Being a glass half full kind of person I truly hope to one day see a world that is filled with tolerance, acceptance and love. There are a few examples in our history of people who have been put on the earth to teach us these great concepts (Jesus, Gandhi, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr. to name a few) let's hope the people start to listen and take it to heart. But in the mean time I will be the change I wish to see in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment