Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 4 - My Favorite Book

It's 5 to 12 (noon) and the baby has been down for a nap for about 40 minutes. I have put on a load of laundry, tidied up the piles of grade one school work/drawings and other sundry papers and thought I might sit down and try this blog thing earlier in the day when I (hopefully) have more faculties together. Of course the risk I run here is the wee one awaking and demanding my attention. Luckily there is a save feature and I can come back to this.

At first I thought the "challenge" part of the Blog Challenge would be finding the time to write every day, so far I find myself consciously choosing to find time to come to my blog and post and therefore that part has not been a challenge, it just means a little less time snooping on Face.book or on my IF Forum. The real challenge has been answering the questions. Today's topic is as difficult as movies and music. I am an avid reader. I must admit that lately I read mostly romance novels. (Shockingly horrific truth is out.) Firstly, they come to me free - my Mom's sister (my aunt obviously) brings them to my Mom in bags full so if it is free and in the house, I will read it. Secondly, I have a busy life. A lot of my energy is sucked out caring for my family, keeping up with the housework (I'd really rather read) and my mental faculties just cannot handle a heavy book. Thirdly, I will admit that I actually enjoy the escapism that the Romance novels bring me. Come on, living life vicariously through the beautiful, successful and single and/or childless couples gives me a little excitement in my otherwise domestic and somewhat mundane life. Don't forget my mother lives with us, she lives in the room next to ours, she does not have a granny flat in the basement she has the master bedroom and we have the next room in our 1 100 sq ft semi detached home. So although the passion is not gone in our marriage certainly the opportunity has been a bit curtailed. Add into the mix two small children...well you get the drift, escapism is appreciated and necessary.

All that being said, I do have some favourites. I enjoy fantasy and sci fi mostly but am not adverse to reading anything at least once! Most of my favourites are of that genre. Let's see there's David and Leigh Eddings' "The Belgariad" series as well as the "Mallorian"; JK Rowling's "Harry Potter" series (Order of the Pheonix is my favourite); and Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality". These are all books that I read and re-read.

In University, I was majoring in English. I've read a lot of books over the years, I enjoy the Bronte sisters, I like the poetry of Sylvia Plath (so sad and haunting) and even enjoy some of Shakespeare's work. Another novel that I have read and still lingers in my mind that I would calssify as a "favourite" would be "A Separate Peace" by John Knowles a classic coming of age story.

Well, I don't know if posting in the afternoon gave a more in depth or insightful blog, but then again it's only a blog and I'm not vying for a Pulitzer here...I am however putting words to paper (as they say) which is a far cry better than what this self proclaimed writer has done in many years! So there you have it, when they start a sci-fi/fantasy genre at Harlequin, I'll be all over it! ;) Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment