Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 2 - My Favourite Movie

Day two is posing yet another conundrum...I like movies just as much, if not more, than I like music. I don't think a day goes by that we don't have at least 2 random movie quotes spoken aloud in our family. Even my 6 year old has started doing it!

We used to live in the big city (Toronto) a stones throw from a little hole in the wall used/discount video store where we used to buy VHS tapes for $2-5 a piece. We often came home with an arm load when we went there, and would spend an hour or two chatting with the owner about movies. Of course, this is before kids (which didn't stop us from purchasing nearly the entire Disney Collection!) and a time before DH starting full time school...a time when cash was flowing and time was there for the wasting (only a wee tiny part of me misses those days, I love being a Momma to my two miracle boys and am thrilled that DH has chosen to pursue his passion and returned to school.) Anyway as I was saying, we purchased a LOT of movies, we had at one time over 300 VHS tapes. Due to storage issues and the evolution of digital media we have since abandoned said collection and now have nearly 1,000 DivX (or otherwise compressed) movies on DVD. So my point here is, we are movie buffs and to pick a favourite is very, very difficult so I will do a top 5 with a few explanations:

  1. The Fugitive. I have seen this movie more times than I could possibly count and I still can feel the suspense, wonder and worry if the one armed man is going to be found and on occasion shed a tear at the end. It is my favourite move to quote "Do you want to change you bullsh!t story, sir?" Plus I have had a not so secret crush on Harrison Ford since I was little - I was one of the girls who liked Han Solo way more than Luke! The original Star Wars trilogy are definitely in my top 20...but don't worry I won't list my top 20...keep reading. :)
  2. The Princess Bride. Classic love story. It has romance, comedy, action and Mandy Patinkin in tights! Need I say more?
  3. Benny and Joon. First off this is a classic Johnny Depp movie, from a time before he was really famous and he is really, really good in it. It is a wonderful story about love - a different kind of love, as well as compassion and family. It really is a must see! (Other favourite Johnny Depp movies include Sleepy Hollow, Chocolat, and From Hell).
  4. Three to Tango. I'm sensing a theme (other than #1) of Romantic Comedies, what can I say, they make me feel good! This is a very quotable movie too. It makes you think a bit too - the plot has a non gay man outed on the front page of the newspaper and shows how he deals with it. It is a bit about walking a mile in another man's shoes, I like the way they treat Homosexuality with compassion and humor all at the same time.
  5. Harry Potter - I really do love the series, but I have to admit that I am a way bigger fan of the original novels than any of the movies. Especially from Order of the Phoenix on. I am a bit nervous about the treatment of the last 2 installments, I felt that The Half Blood Prince was atrocious and cannot believe that JK Rowling agreed to the changes and treatment of the movie. (Hmm I sense another blog so I better stop there.)
I'll leave it at that...I didn't even mention any of my favourite Disney Movies, or get into many action flicks and I certainly didn't touch on any indie films, documentaries or Biographies.

1 comment:

  1. It's hard isn't it? Choosing a favourite... I love movies, even tho we don't get to see as many as we used to in the theater.

    Benny and Joon is a masterpiece! Definitely vintage Johnny Depp.

    And I can't watch Mandy Patinkin in any other role without wanting him to say those magic words... "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

    ReplyDelete