Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Day 15 - Your Dream House





Well, let's get the gushy stuff out of the way...any home that I live in with my family is my dream house!

Okay, now down to brass tacks...Actually, I'm pretty fortunate. I've got an awesome house. We watched go from a big pile of dirt, to creating our own big piles of dirt. (See picture series below, I'm still figuring out how adding pictures works. I'm not very proficient at it.


Dirt Pile (in the rain) Spring 2013
Foundation and framing ready to go.



Getting close to completion.
Almost done!
I did mention I have two boys (three if you include the Mr.), and there's nothing but dirt all around us, so yeah, it's a dreamy mud pie. :) We bought into the house when Mom was living with us (read back, Mom moved in to our tiny house just before baby boo, who's now 4, was born), it was a perfect set up, and was to have a finished 2 bedroom basement apartment for her. Now it's just the four of us, and the three cats roaming around in it. But I love it! No home is perfect, but we are way better off now in terms of not tripping over one another than our old house.


We have 4 bedrooms, which means both boys have a sizeable room (read can keep a majority of their toys out of main living spaces and aren't fighting with one another) and there is an extra room for all my craft stuff and things! Something I had to give up in the old house between the two additions (babyboo and Mom). The piece de resistance, and what makes it dreamy, is our Master Suite! It takes up the whole back half of the house. There is an ensuite with soaker, jetted tub, a frameless glass shower stall with two shower heads and a two sinks. It's funny, because the other bonus to the house is the main floor powder room which should alleviate my need to run up the stairs when I need to go, but I don't use it. I love my bathroom so much, I run upstairs and rarely use the powder room! LOL!! We also have a walk in closet and room to spare for a love seat. Future improvements will include moving the closet door and installing an electric fire place.
Floor Plan (linked to builders site)


Other dreamy qualities of our home (other than the toilets) include laundry on the second floor. Just outside the Master Suite, is our laundry. Which does mean that frequently there are baskets of unfolded  laundry awaiting the return of the master of the house, but at least I'm not slugging them up 2 or even 3 flights of stairs from the basement. It's divine!

We also opted to pay for a premium lot. We have a 42' wide property that is 200' deep, typically the lots are about 100' deep, half of that is house, so we have not just a double back yard but really, a triple back yard. Lots of room for the boys to burn off some steam. Of course, as mentioned previously, it is just dirt and weeds. They've got 3 more months to give us grass. I would have liked to have had more width, there's only 8 ft between us and the neighbour's house (only one neighbour so far) but what we found is so rare in a new community. The only thing that keeps this from being an absolute dream home, is the amount of property, I would have liked more, had it wider, and maybe even be more remote. But the neighbours so far have been stellar, we are building a nice little community here and I feel like I'm living a dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment