Friday, July 25, 2014

Boys will be boys (Always)



I don't know why, but at an early age I realized I was destined to be a mother of boys. Maybe it was just my secret hope to have boys, their lives seemed so much less complicated than mine as a girl. Maybe it was because I grew up with boys, having two older brothers and living in the country surrounded by other families with boys. I always seemed to gravitate towards guy friends and was a bit of a tomboy growing up. (Although my one brother would lead you to believe I thought myself a princess, I don't think I ever really felt that way. Of course, now he has 3 girls, so he might see my attitudes as different now.)

My wish or dreams, whatever you want to label it as, came true. I am the mom of two boys. Currently, they are 10 and 4. Yup, big age gap, that's a discussion for another post - I wonder why I never blogged when I was ttcing. They are a lot of fun. We still have dolls and talk about princesses. I believe in non gender specific role playing and developing their archetypal feminine attributes. They are also very rough and tumble. We recently moved into a new house, like new as in we watched it being built. We are still waiting on them to complete the grading (lay clean fill) and landscaping (top soil and sod). We've been waiting since Oct. 2013. This spring/summer has been an exercise in patience and I've had to pick my battles. I no longer wash the walls in the front hall/powder room. If I applied a damp cloth one more time, I would be washing the drywall away...sigh...builder grade paint sucks! I should invest in a first aid supply company as I never seem to have enough for all the cuts and scrapes. I'm pretty sure that I've said about a million times this month alone, "Stop beating up your brother." Usually to the youngest, the oldest is a pacifist. I've been sending them outside despite the fact the backyard is a disaster, they have energy that needs to be expended.

Thankfully the 10 yr old is old enough to help with laundry because the 4 yr old loves puddles!
They love it, and I love it! The boys make me happy, I'm definitely in my element. I doubt that I would be any less happy if I'd of had a girl, or two, but my life with boys is exactly what works for me and exactly what I have. I'm happily a mom of two boys. Well, three really. Conversation in the car on my way home with the kids...

Me: "I love you two boys more than any other boys in the whole world!"
Jonah: "But what about Dad?"
Me: "Dad's not a boy, he's a man."
Jonah: "Well, he sure acts like a boy a whole lot."
Me: "Okay then, I love you three boys more than any other boys in the world!"
They keep me entertained. As they say, out of the mouths of babes, and they certainly have mouths on them...where is that volume control button, come on evolution, at least give us that for the first 20 yrs or so!

Maybe I'll tell you more about the SO's unsupervised exploits in a future post!

If you've found me, I once was lost, but now am found? Anyway if you are reading a long, and have snooped through past posts, you will see that I once upon a 2011 started a 30 day blog challenge. I've decided to resurrect this to inspire me to keep writing. I left off on Day 14 out of the 30 Day Challenge. Through my posts you will learn why I left blogging behind. I'm not the kind of person who airs their dirty laundry and just didn't feel like blogging was the appropriate place to put my struggles ...it's been a wild ride these past couple of years. Life is good, always has been and always will be, but there are ups and downs, and when I am down I don't write. Anyway, I'm in a place now where blogging can and will be a part of my world and so to help me stay inspired to write here are the posts you can look forward to reading about:


Day 15 - your dream house
Day 16 - a song that makes you cry (or nearly)
Day 17 - an art piece (drawing, sculpture, painting, etc)
Day 18 - my wedding/future wedding/past wedding
Day 19 - a talent of yours
Day 20 - a hobby of yours
Day 21 - a recipe
Day 22 - a website
Day 23 - a youtube video
Day 24 - where you live
Day 25 - your day, in great detail
Day 26 - your week, in great detail
Day 27 - your worst habit
Day 28 - what's in your handbag/purse
Day 29 - hopes, dreams, and plans for the next 365 days
Day 30 - a dream for the future

No comments:

Post a Comment