Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 13 - A Fictional Book

Nope haven't really written one yet...not fully anyway! I've got a lot poetry and short stories, does that count? LOL...Oh you want me to comment on a Fictional book? Well you already know that I like to read. I like to read crap, I like to read classics and I like to read everything in between so commenting on a single book is at times tricky because there are so many on my brain.

I can tell you about the one I just read, and am actually reading again. Sometimes I get so into a book that I just kind of race through it to find out how it ends but because I am dyslexic that means I miss parts. I have to sometimes read and reread to make it really stick or to have it make sense (I skip over words and sentences sometimes). Anyway, I enjoyed it so much that I have decided to start reading it again.

Amy Tan's The Bonesetter's Daughter is an intricate story of the lives of three generations of women and how they struggle to understand each other and care for each other. The plot mostly revolves around an adult daughter - Ruth, who is caring for her aging mother and concerns regarding her mother's mental health (dementia). Ruth learns about her self and her relationships while working on her relationship with her mother but also learns some family secrets which help her better understand her mother. She finds out about her mother's past through a story that her mother wrote down for her detailing her childhood and own family secrets, tragedies and triumphs.

I found it poignant as a mother and daughter both, knowing that my children (like I did) think that my life only began when they were born. They don't realize there was 30 or so years that I lived before they came along. Now that I live with my mother as an adult and equal I find that I know and understand my own mother better too. It is easy to harbour grudges towards our parents

No comments:

Post a Comment